Next Wednesday, On November 2, 2022, the so-called “consumer basket” will be introduced in Greece with regulated and reduced prices for basic goods popular consumption.
51 products that will amount to “consumer basket” (housewife’s basket, food basket…) will be on supermarket shelves with this special sign.
List of 51 items for the “consumer basket” will be updated every week on Wednesday and will include everything from toast bread, rice, eggs and spaghetti to toilet paper and even pet food. You can find out about updates and get a complete list on the website http://kalathi.mindev.gov.gr/
Consumers will be able to identify them on supermarket shelves by a special label that the goods will have. According to the state broadcaster ERT, the rise in prices for these goods cannot exceed the rate of inflation.
It is recalled that the premiere of the “consumer basket” will take place on November 2 and will reportedly be valid until the end of March 2023. The creation of a “basket” is mandatory for all supermarket chains whose turnover in the previous financial year exceeded 90 million euros. It will be optional for all other businesses in the sector. For non-submission of the list of products or incomplete submission by the obliged enterprises will be imposed fine in the amount of 5000 euros for each day of delay.
On ANT1 on Thursday, Minister for Development and Investment Adonis Georgiadis said that “each supermarket chain will compete with others for the cheapest “consumer basket”. Thus, each network will choose products and prices. [На этой неделе] we will see baskets of companies.”
He also added that “we are not imposing prices, but we are creating a new space for competition between chains. We say to our compatriots that you will find things that are absolutely necessary at very good prices.” He added that other sectors have expressed interest in participating in such an action.
Please note that until now the “consumer basket” contains only basic and packaged products, and not fresh (vegetables, meat, etc.), which are sold by weight on the counter.
The government chose not to talk about how other small retail chains or private stores will survive in this case, just as they did not answer questions regarding the absence of many important goods and food products in the “consumer basket” list.
List in full:
- Rice long-grain type “Carolina”
- Bakery products:
- Bread for toast
- Loaf of bread
- Pasta – spaghetti №6
- Meat fish
- Pork packed
- Packaged poultry meat
- Sausages, chicken or turkey ham
- Chilled fish – in assortment (at least one product name), depending on the season
- Fresh whole milk:
- Whole milk reduced fat <2%
- Canned or condensed milk
- Unflavored cow’s milk yogurt
- Unflavored cow’s milk yogurt (low fat <2%)
- Cheese for toast ((including feta, gouda, low-fat cheese))
- Other types of food
- canned tomato juice
- Eggs from poultry farms and small households
- Margarine, vegetable fats
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sunflower oil
- Frozen vegetables: At least one type of frozen peas, okra, green beans
- white sugar
- Baby food (baby formula)
- Baby food (baby milk)
- Greek coffee, ground
- Instant coffee
- Coffee for coffee maker (Γαλλικός καφές)
- Black or herbal tea bags
- cocoa powder
- Bottled water:
- Mineral water still in bottles (500 ml or 1 l) Fruit juices – orange juice
- Soft drinks – at least one type of fizzy soft drink.
- Detergents and sanitary products:
- Disinfectants and antiseptics for hands
- Laundry detergents (liquid and powder, not tablets)
- Detergents for washing floors and cleaning surfaces – bleaches
- Dishwashing liquids for hand washing
- Kitchen paper towels (roll)
- Personal hygiene items:
- Toilet paper
- Soap solid
- Adult diapers (for incontinence)
- Products for children:
- Baby diapers
- Personal hygiene items for babies (baby wet wipes)
- Personal hygiene items for babies (shampoo)
- Animal food:
- dog food
- cat food