The new law on keeping pets does not limit the maximum number of pets that can live with the owner in an apartment or separate house, if their owners follow certain rules.
However, building codes may limit the maximum number of animals in an apartment to three.
Changes to the rules regarding the maximum number of animals in an apartment take effect 12 months after the government vote.
In private houses, it is allowed to keep pets that have been legally registered (have passports and chips), and are also registered in the Εθνικό Μητρώο Ζώων Συντροφιάς (ΕΜΖΣ), subject to the rules of good treatment of the animal, as well as current sanitary and police regulations. Quantity restrictions apply only to dogs and cats.
What the law says:
Law 4830/2021 – Government Gazette Issue A ‘169 / 18.09.2021
New framework for pet welfare – ARGOS program and other provisions.
Keeping pets in homes
1. It is allowed to keep pets in every house in accordance with what is defined in clauses 2, 3 and 4.
2. In apartment buildings, which have at least two apartments, it is allowed to keep pets if:
a) They live in the same apartment with the owner with the consent (unanimous decision) of the general meeting of apartment owners in a high-rise building.
b) They do not remain permanently on terraces or in open spaces of an apartment (balconies, verandas).
c) Staying in apartments of apartment buildings is carried out in compliance with the rules of welfare, sanitary and police standards (dirt and noise are not allowed).
d) Dogs and cats must be registered with ΕΜΖΣ (including chip and electronic pet passport).
3. The rules of an apartment building may not prohibit the keeping of pets, subject to the conditions of paragraph 2.
4. In private homes, it is allowed to keep pets that have been legally marked and registered in the ΕΜΖΣ, subject to the rules of welfare and good treatment of animals, as well as strict observance of sanitary and police standards.
5. The numerical limits in clause 3 apply only to dogs and cats. In any case, sanitary and police standards apply in the rules of detention.
Updated requirements for obtaining or renewing a Greek passport