Stone to the tail and “ends in the water” (video)

A dolphin cemetery was discovered on the seabed in Crimea. A stone is tied to the tail of each …

The answer is simple and cruel – fishermen “bury” a wounded or dead mammal caught in the nets in the depths of the sea so as not to pay a fine. The incident is reported by the “Serene Sea” – the center for the rescue and rehabilitation of marine mammals.

Ecologists say that in this way, participants in the fishing industry cover their tracks, hide the death of an animal that occurred as a result of their activities. The center’s message says:

Rope on the tail – and tie it to the stone. This is how the fishing industry covers its tracks, hides the consequences of its destructive activities in the Black Sea. These dolphins are just a few of those that our volunteers and eyewitnesses accidentally found at the bottom of the sea, in the Crimea.

According to ecologists, most of those dolphins that died due to falling into fishing nets were buried in this way. To hide their death, the fishermen simply burden the body of the mammal with a load and lower it to the bottom. Sometimes dolphins wounded in this way (usually by gill or trawl fishing nets) are thrown ashore. Serenity Sea staff speaks of 2,167 recorded cases, but argue that this is only the tip of the iceberg, a small visible part of the global problem:

According to research, less than 10% of dolphins are subsequently thrown onto land, the remaining 90% sink to the bottom of the sea. Buoyancy depends on the degree of fatness and the presence of air in the lungs. In order for the body to drown for sure and not surface during decomposition (which means it was not then found on the shore), some fishermen drown them with a load (like this bottlenose dolphin) or inflict penetrating wounds into the abdominal cavity.





Source link

High-quality journalistic work cannot be free, otherwise it becomes dependent on the authorities or the oligarchs.
Our site is solely funded by advertising money.
Please disable your ad blocker to continue reading the news.
Best regards, editors