June 25, 2024

Athens News

News in English from Greece

Ukrainian men abroad – what changes with the adoption of the law on mobilization

The Verkhovna Rada adopted a law on mobilization, which obliges men abroad to register for military service. But this does not mean at all that they will be deported after this or immediately taken to the front.

There are now approximately 650 thousand men of military age outside Ukraine, many of whom crossed the border illegally, writes Politico. Adopted by the Rada and signed by the President The new law on mobilization lowered the conscription age to 25 years and introduced additional restrictions for draft dodgers. Some innovations will affect Ukrainians liable for military service who live abroad.

What is prohibited for men abroad

The law on mobilization will limit consular services to Ukrainians abroad if the person liable for military service does not register. Without a military registration document, it will be impossible to obtain a Ukrainian or foreign passport or get a job. But consular services will not be limited to men in the following cases, writes BB.LV:

  • when issuing a certificate to return to Ukraine;
  • when performing consular actions in relation to children of a citizen of Ukraine;
  • if the second parent of the children has foreign citizenship or is a stateless person.

Consular services for men will be provided simultaneously with clarification of data for the TCC or in the presence of military documents.

Military registration abroad

Ukrainians who are abroad must update their data within 60 days from the date of adoption of the law. That is They need to register before July 16th. To do this, you must provide TCC with current personal information – residential address, place of work, telephone number, email address, etc.

All men aged 18 to 60 years, including students and persons with disabilities, must register if they have been abroad for more than three months.

Military registration of men is possible through the consulate, the electronic account of the person liable for military service (when it becomes available) or through the official telephone number or email indicated in the TCC. To update the data, you need to contact the diplomatic institution of Ukraine, providing the following documents:

  • Ukrainian passport;
  • a document confirming your place of residence abroad;
  • military document (if available);
  • document on education (if available).

Personal data of those liable for military service will be stored in cloud storages abroad with the support of international partners. After registration, men will be required to report changes in place of residence, marital status or education within 7 days.

If you don't register with the military

A person liable for military service who has not registered abroad will have limited consular services. In addition, a fine in the amount of 3,400 to 5,100 hryvnia may be issued. The Ministry of Justice is now discussing the possibility of introducing additional penalties for Ukrainians who neglect military registration abroad.

Will there be mobilization abroad?

People's Deputy Fyodor Venislavsky spoke about whether there will be a mobilization of Ukrainians abroad. According to him, updating the data is necessary so that the General Staff knows how many men liable for military service are now outside Ukraine. He explained that a person can live abroad, and they send him messages and summonses to addresses that are registered with the TCC. The state spends time, material and human resources to inform a person who, in principle, cannot be informed, since he is not in this city.

Venislavsky reassured those living in other countries – there will be no additional responsibilities after updating the data. Registration for military service does not mean that the man will be deported or forced to return to Ukraine. According to the people's deputy, Ukraine does not have such tools to force other countries to send men home during martial law.

Source link

Verified by MonsterInsights