Greeks "lean" for fish

Greece has set a ten-year record for fish sales, with Greeks consuming 131,250 tons in 2021, according to an Aquaculture report.

Decade-record sales, as well as concerns about a difficult economic situation due to inflationary pressures and rising prices, are key elements of the 8th annual report presented this year by the Hellenic Aquaculture Producers Organization results for the past year.

The sector recorded record sales in 2021 as the gradual lifting of restrictive health measures and the reopening of the market, mainly in the catering and tourism sectors, created increased demand, especially in “eating out”, writes iefimerida.gr.

Sales of Greek aquaculture (farmed) fish reached 131,250 tons in 2021, generating a revenue of 636 million euros. The indicator increased by 7% in volume and almost 10% in value of sales compared to the previous year.

Sea bream (τσιπούρα) and sea bass (λαβράκι) account for 96% of the sector’s sales (125,550 tons), with the remaining 4% being all other species (5,700 tons).

International sales of farmed fish are also excellent, with exports up 9% (100,361 tons of fish delivered, valued at €499 million).

80% of food products were sent to EU and to third countries, and the remaining 20% ​​are sold on the domestic market.



Source link

High-quality journalistic work cannot be free, otherwise it becomes dependent on the authorities or the oligarchs.
Our site is solely funded by advertising money.
Please disable your ad blocker to continue reading the news.
Best regards, editors