Two strategically important military exercises started on Monday 28 March.
According to the information of the General Staff of the National Defense of Greece, the multinational interdisciplinary medium-scale exercises “Ηνίοχος 22” and the international exercises of special operations forces “Ωρίων 22” have been going on for several hours.
According to GEETHA, personnel and military personnel of both Greek and foreign armed forces are taking part in the exercises. The exercises include realistic and very complex scenarios. The aircraft carriers Charles de Gaulle and USS Harry S. Truman also participate in them.
In the exercises “Ηνίοχος 22”, in addition to the armed forces of Greece, take part:
- France with the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier, which will launch Rafale fighters and E2C Hawkeye airborne early warning and control aircraft.
- United States with aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman, FA-18 and EA-18 fighters, F-15 fighters, Hawkeye E2D airborne early warning and control aircraft, and MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aircraft.
- Israel with F-16 fighter jets, G-550 airborne early warning and control aircraft and B-707 refueling aircraft.
- Italy with Tornado fighters.
- Republic of Cyprus with AW139 helicopter.
- Slovenia with PC-9M aircraft.
Military personnel from Austria and Canada will also take part in the exercise, as well as observers from Egypt, Albania, Austria, the Republic of North Macedonia, Great Britain, India, Kuwait, Croatia, Morocco and Saudi Arabia.
At the same time, the Hour 22 exercises are taking place, in which, in addition to the Greek special operations forces and special forces of the security forces, the personnel of the armed forces of Bulgaria, France, the United States, and Israel take part. The Republic of Cyprus and additional observers from Egypt, Austria and Montenegro are participating.
During Hour 22, missions of increased complexity will be carried out, as well as joint training at complex facilities, for example:
- Infiltrate an enemy zone with a free fall jump.
- Guidance of fire from the air and artillery.
- Sniper tactics.
- Liberation from the enemy coast.
In addition, the interrelation of the exercises “Ηνίοχος 22” and “Ωρίων 22” with the exercise “Λαίλαψ – 1/22” will be carried out, which involves frigates, high-speed patrol missiles, gunboats, a general support ship and the Air Force of the Navy.
In total, 1,900 personnel are involved in the Ηνίοχος 22 and Ωρίων 22 exercises, as well as the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle and the American aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman with their escort ships, 130 aircraft. In addition, helicopters of all types from 20 countries and 10 surface units of the Navy are involved.