The ban on breeding pets in Greek towns and villages starts from Crete.
Начало было положено региональными властями Крита решением Διαύγεια στις 8/3 с названием “Καθορισμός οικόσιτων ζώων και πτηνών στις πόλεις και τα χωριά της Περιφερειακής Ενότητας Λασιθίου Κρήτης” (Определение содержания домашних животных и птиц в городах и деревнях региональной единицы Лассити на Крите». Согласно solution:
1. It is forbidden to keep animals and birds in the urban development plan in the areas of Agios Nikolaos, Ierapetra and Sitia.
2. On the periphery, in the inner district settlements of the above cities, provided that they do not belong to the tourist category and are at least 400 m away from the coastline, as well as on the outskirts of Neapoli, it is allowed to keep:
- up to two adult sheep and goats (and their offspring up to four months old with a maximum total of 5 animals),
- 6 poultry,
- 2 rabbits, not including young ones, before they are slaughtered.
3. In other settlements of the prefecture (except for tourist areas), the content is allowed:
- up to two adult sheep and goats and their offspring under the age of four months with a maximum total number of five animals,
- 10 poultry,
- 4 rabbits, not including young ones, before they are slaughtered,
- one sow and one boar (at the last stage of fattening).
4. The term “poultry” includes: laying hens, broilers, ducks, geese, turkeys, guinea fowls, pheasants, partridges, quails.
5. The keeping of animals and birds in more than the three above categories is NOT considered a pet stall, but mixed poultry farm, requiring the issuance of the necessary permits.
6. It is forbidden to keep animals and birds in tourist areas (beaches, archaeological sites, etc.)
7. In the case of provision no. 2, the permitted number of animals and birds is required to be kept in suitable premises (cages, pens) which will be located closest to the owner’s home or, if this is not possible, at a distance of fifty meters from any other dwellings.
8. In the case of provision No. 3, the permitted number of animals and birds is required to be kept in suitable premises (cages, pens), which will be located closest to the owner’s house or, if this is not possible, at a distance of 30 meters (this applies to chickens, rabbits, sheep and goats), as well as at a distance of 70 meters (applies to pigs and horses) from any other dwellings.
In any case, persons with the above-mentioned domestic animals must distance themselves from the neighboring area (regulation of the law άρθρο 20 “Παράρτημα” του Ν. 4056/2012).