February 5, 2023

Athens News

News in English from Greece

Femicide: a man brutally cracked down on his wife

A new case of femicide, which occurred early in the morning on Sunday, January 22 of this year, caused a shock in Nikiya, as well as in the country as a whole.

At 5:20 am, the perpetrator himself, a 50-year-old man, called the 100 Immediate Police Action Service and confessed to the crime he had committed. “Come, I killed my wife,” he said. When law enforcement officers arrived at the apartment, they found a dead woman on the sofa in the living room. Police found marks on the 54-year-old woman’s neck and immediately arrested the man. Soon after, a medical examiner arrived on the scene, who, according to police sources, determined that the most likely scenario for death was strangulation. The case was referred to the homicide unit. The couple reportedly have a daughter who was not at home at the time of the murder. The police are looking for her to take a statement and determine her condition.

The murderer was taken to the hospital

According to iefimerida.gr, shortly after the offender was taken to the police station, he had a seizure, and it was decided to take him to the Attico hospital, accompanied by police officers. According to the same sources, police officers are looking into whether the man had psychological or psychiatric problems, as he was allegedly hospitalized for the last time in Daphne in May 2022.

History of domestic violence

In their first statements, which the neighbors made to the police, they indicated that domestic violence had taken place in the apartment where the couple lived and “the police were called more than once.” According to iefimerida.gr, the perpetrator contacted the authorities in 2017 and 2019, when the police were called to the scene after reports of violence.

According to the same sources, when it came to court, his wife stated that she did not want to prosecute him, claiming that he was an alcoholic and suffering from mental illness. In one case, police officers even took him into custody when they spotted him drunk on the street. The background information indicated that the perpetrator was in a state of intoxication when he notified ΕΛΑΣ about your act. However, this remains in question as no bottles were found in the house.

Source link