The number of traffic violations across Greece in just one week, from 16 to 22 October 2022, is shocking.
Practically every day we become witnesses of car accidents, road accidents with a fatal outcome. However, it seems that car owners do not react to this in any way and continue to be drunk driving, talking on the phone, and so on.
The number of traffic violations confirmed in just one week is unimaginable. During 107,150 inspections ΕΛΑΣ 22,940 violations were confirmed. These violations only apply to the period from 16 to 22 October 2022.
According to the traffic police, the violations recorded by region are as follows:
- 4085 in Attica,
- 2983 in Thessaloniki,
- 2444 in Thessaly,
- 2381 in Western Greece,
- 2047 in Crete,
- 1639 in Epirus,
- 1628 in Central Macedonia,
- 1501 in East Macedonia and Thrace,
- 1185 in the Peloponnese,
- 979 in Central Greece,
- 605 in the Ionian Islands,
- 563 in Western Macedonia,
- 490 in the North Aegean and
- 410 in the South Aegean region.
In particular, violations relate to:
- 7050 for illegal parking,
- 4812 for speeding,
- 1,477 for driving without a license/license,
- 986 for not using a safety helmet,
- 775 for an unfastened seat belt,
- 595 without certificate from K.T.E.O.,
- 521 for drunk driving,
- 418 for traffic light violations
- 364 uninsured vehicles,
- 316 for using a mobile phone while driving,
- 170 for illegal overtaking,
- 163 for moving in the opposite direction,
- 155 for dangerous maneuvers,
- 125 for worn tires,
- 72 for not keeping a safe distance,
- 62 driving in the oncoming lane (on a one-way street),
- 31 for distracting the driver,
- 31 for not wearing a seat belt,
- 26 for improper use of the alarm (headlights, turn signals, etc.),
- 24 for not using child seats,
- 16 for traffic priority violation,
- 4751 other violations.
It is also reported that the Attica Traffic Authority conducted an inspection from 17 to 23 October 2022, including in the area of Athens Sounio Avenue, in order to combat impromptu races, as well as to identify other dangerous violations leading to traffic accidents and accidents. .
In total, 669 checks of drivers and vehicles were carried out and 366 violations were confirmed, for which appropriate fines were imposed. In particular, the following violations were confirmed:
- 28 for an unfastened seat belt,
- 23 for not wearing a helmet,
- 22 for speeding
- 16 for revocation of driver’s license,
- 16 for drunk driving,
- 5 for running a red light
- 5 for mobile phone use,
- 3 for demonstrating extreme driving skills,
- 1 making noise,
- 247 for other violations.
In addition, 24 pairs of license plates, 61 transport licenses, as well as 68 driver’s licenses were confiscated, and 9 vehicles were moved to a penalty parking lot.
As noted by the Ministry of Citizens’ Protection, ΕΛΑΣ attaches particular importance to road safety issues, and inspections will continue with unabated intensity in order to reduce the number of traffic accidents and accidents.