Low-interest or interest-free loans for young couples who will live in renovated houses up to 120 square meters and worth up to 150,000, with a construction year up to 2007, were announced, among other things, by Minister of Labor and Social Affairs Kostis Hatzidakis.
The new housing program presented by Minister of Labor and Social Affairs K. Hatzidakis, Minister of Environment and Energy Kostas Skrekas, Minister of Education and Religious Affairs Niki Kerameas, Minister of State Akis Skertsos and Head of the Ministry of Internal Affairs (Public Employment Service) Spyros Protopsaltis includes 6+1 measure for a cheaper “roof over your head”:
1. Interest-free or preferential mortgage for young people aged 25-39.
2. Massive renovation of empty (long idle) houses.
3. The use of state real estate through the institution of social compensation.
4. Subsidy for the energy modernization of a private house for young people aged 18-39 years.
5. Subsidy for the repair of housing for long-term rentals.
6. Creation of new modern student hostels.