Young man dies after amoeba eats his brain

The Israeli Ministry of Health announced on Friday that a 36-year-old man from the northern part of the country has died from complications of meningoencephalitis after being infected with a rare brain-eating amoeba.

The patient, who had no underlying medical conditions, died of non-gleniosis, known as primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare infection of the brain caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri.

The microorganism is usually found in places with stagnant water. The Israeli Ministry of Health has ordered an investigation into the rare incident.

The case was diagnosed at the Poriya Medical Center (Τιβεριάδα), in northeastern Israel near the Sea of ​​Galilee. The health authorities of the country were immediately notified of this. Due to the rarity of the case, the clinical specimen was sent to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

In the early stages of nasal PAM infection, symptoms may include severe headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting. As the infection progresses, symptoms that appear 1 to 9 days after infection may progress to seizures and hallucinations.



Source link

High-quality journalistic work cannot be free, otherwise it becomes dependent on the authorities or the oligarchs.
Our site is solely funded by advertising money.
Please disable your ad blocker to continue reading the news.
Best regards, editors