The map of the world with famous prominent personalities, natives of different cities, was created by the Finnish geographer Topi Tyukanov.
An interactive map shows the birthplaces of prominent personalities in the worlds of culture, sports, science and leadership. The Verge. With its help, you can, for example, learn about the famous personalities of your city or any other on the planet.
In total, there are 2.3 million people on the list of celebrities placed on the map. All information was taken from Wikipedia and Wikidata. Topi Tyukanov, a geographer and senior map designer at Mapbox, created a visualization of those who have made important contributions to society. The significance of this contribution may vary, so the researchers have tried to narrow the circle and, to the extent possible, account for biases. When compiling an interactive map, the following factors were taken into account:
- the number of Wikipedia publications per person;
- the total number of words in all available biographies – it is zero for persons who have only one Wikidata entry and no Wikipedia biography;
- average number of biographical views (visits) for each person between 2015 and 2018 in all available language versions;
- the number of items retrieved from Wikipedia or Wikidata by date of birth, gender, and sphere of influence. The meaning is this: the more remarkable a person is, the more his/her biographies will be documented;
- the total number of external links (sources, links, etc.) from Wikidata.
The author says: “When you click on each name – bigger ones, more visible from a distance, higher rankings – you can see where each individual person ranks in terms of fame. If you’re a fan of geography and people, this site could be great. a way to learn about people near and far. Or, as it was with me, to remind once again that I live in the same hometown as Beyoncé. “
Everyone can get acquainted with the invention of the Finnish geographer right now by going to link.