A powerful explosion occurred today in a butcher’s shop located in the center of Athens, on Victoria Square, at the intersection of Julianou and Alkiviadou streets.
An alarm was reportedly issued at the operational headquarters of the Fire Department a few hours ago after eyewitnesses to the events of the explosion that took place in the butcher’s shop called there.
Shortly after 12:30, an explosion occurred in a store located on the ground floor, as a result of which two employees of the store were injured.
A fire brigade consisting of 1 car and 3 firefighters, as well as an EKAB ambulance, arrived at the scene.
According to the information, one of the victims was taken by ambulance to the CAT with serious injuries, and the other who received minor burns to the Evangelismos hospital.
“It was a miracle that there were no casualties among passers-by,” — said a local shopkeeper.
Four propane tanks were seized.
According to the information, the fire brigade removed four propane tanks from the basement, and EYDAPPPC and the gas company were called in to check their infrastructure and shut down their networks to avoid further leaks and problems.
“Just an hour ago, there was a loud explosion in the store across the street. We all panicked here in the area. The windows were blown out by the blast. It can be seen that one man was seriously injured, he seems to have serious problems with his arms and legs. We are in shock,” he said. prothema.gr businessman from a nearby store.
View the embedded image gallery online at:
According to the first information, the cause of the explosion was a gas leak.
A resident of the area complained about the widespread use of liquefied gas cylinders in shops and apartments, saying that it was only a matter of time before this happens.
In a statement, he said the store was selling gas cylinders stored in the basement.