The Hellenic Traffic Police (Τροχαίας) reports that over 30,000 traffic violations were committed during the Easter weekend, which were confirmed by traffic inspectors on the national road network.
According to a Greek police statement, of the 31,978 violations, the majority involved speeding.
The number of violations is as follows:
- Speeding: 7889
- Not using a seat belt: 848
- Drunk driving: 737
- Non-use of a helmet by motorcyclists: 730
- Failure to pass technical inspection (CTEO): 583
- Traffic in the opposite lane: 360
- Use of mobile phones by the driver while driving: 266
- Passing a red light: 237
- Non-standard maneuvers: 175
- Emergency lane traffic (LEA): 132
- Overtaking with violations of the rules: 123
- Priority violation: 54
- Not using child seats: 29
- Driving in the left lane: 13
- Other violations: 19,802
The Greek police have announced that the checks will also continue during the first 3 days of May.