In connection with the new bill, which is under consideration in the Verkhovna Rada in Ukraine, many questions arise. With the help of its author, we will try to clarify the information.
First of all, let us remind you that men of military age, from 18 to 60 years old, are prohibited from leaving Ukraine during martial law. There are exceptions for only a few categories.
Employees of the Ukrainian border service will check all men of military age who left Ukraine after February 23 and are returning back. They will have to explain at which checkpoint and on the basis of what documents they crossed the border. This was reported by Ukrayinska Pravda, referring to Oleksiy Danilov, Secretary of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine:
“When someone returns to the territory of our country, we will clearly understand when he left it. The border system works flawlessly. All people who left our country are recorded. Everyone who will return to Ukraine from those who left after On February 23, they will have to explain through which point they left the country and on the basis of what legal documents.”
Fedor Venislavsky, the author of the draft law on criminal liability for Ukrainian men who are abroad, provided basic information:
- the draft law on criminal liability for men who have gone abroad is quite “sensitive” and caused active discussions among deputies;
- the purpose of the innovation: “There is a constitutional obligation to defend the homeland, and measures must be taken so that those citizens who travel abroad realize this obligation”;
- the bill defines a time limit for the return of men from abroad;
- the bill spells out criminal liability for “defectors”, including conviction in absentia and search;
- the law is designed primarily for military reservists, as well as heads of state authorities and their deputies, judges, including the Constitutional Court;
- the bill will be put on the agenda for consideration and adoption after hearings in the law enforcement committee.
“I think that the majority of deputies are aware of the threat and will make an appropriate decision,” the author of the bill is quoted by the publication. “The country”.
Recall that in the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine bill registered, which will introduce criminal liability for the non-arrival of Ukrainian men from abroad to protect their country. Non-returners may face 10 years in prison. It is proposed to supplement the law on martial law with an article that provides for the mandatory return to Ukraine of men of military age who are abroad in the event of martial law being introduced on the territory of the state or in its individual areas. This takes 15 days.