According to ELSTAT, inflation jumped to 8.9% in March. The overall consumer price index, compared with February 2022, showed an increase of 2.7%.
Soaring prices for electricity (79%), natural gas (68%) and fuel oil (58.5%) are shocking. An increase of 19.9% was recorded for products such as vegetable oil, and 13% for vegetables. Airfare increased by 26.8% and ferry tickets by 16%. The cost of living in hotels and motels increased by 18.5%, writes dikaiologitika.gr.
Increase general consumer price index (Δείκτης Τιμών Καταναλωτή (ΔΤΚ) by 8.9% in March 2022 compared to the corresponding index in March 2021 was mainly due to changes in the cost of the following groups of goods and services:
• 8.1% in the group “Food and non-alcoholic beverages” mainly due to the increase in prices for bread and cereals, meat (in general), fish (in general), dairy products and eggs, oils and fats, fresh fruits, vegetables (in general), sugar-chocolate-candy-ice cream, other products, coffee, mineral water-soft drinks-fruit juices.
• 0.4% in the “Alcoholic drinks and tobacco products” group, mainly due to the increase in prices for wines.
• 6.5% in the clothing and footwear group due to rising prices for manufactured goods.
• 29.9% in the Housing group, mainly due to rising prices for rent for housing, goods for home repair and maintenance, electricity, natural gas, fuel oil.
• 3.7% in Durable Goods (household goods and services) group, mainly due to the increase in prices for furniture and interior items (decor), textiles, glassware and household utensils, household items, household services .
• 15.4% in the Transport group due to rising prices for new cars, used cars, mopeds, motorcycles, tires, fuels and lubricants, tickets for air passenger transport, tickets for passenger ferry transport.
• 0.1% in the “Leisure-cultural events” group due to the increase in prices for small leisure items (pet food), tickets to cinemas and theaters. Some of this growth was offset by lower prices for audiovisual equipment, computers, repairs, leisure durables.
• 0.9% in the “Education” group, mainly due to an increase in the cost of education in the system secondary education.
• 2.8% in the “Hotels-cafes-restaurants” group due to higher prices in restaurants-confectionery-cafes, hotels-motels-hotels.
• 0.1% in the group “Other goods and services” due to the increase in prices for other types of personal hygiene. Part of this increase was offset by lower vehicle insurance prices.
The index fell:
• By 2.9% in the Communications group, mainly due to lower prices for mobile phone equipment and telephone services.