The Prosecutor General’s Office of Kazakhstan announced the number of victims and injured during the protests that swept across the country.
According to official figures, at least 225 people died, 175 of them died in medical institutions. The total number of victims is 4578 people. Among the dead and wounded are civilians, reports Deutsche Welle with reference to the data of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Kazakhstan.
Serik Shalabaev, head of the Criminal Prosecution Service of the Prosecutor General’s Office of Kazakhstan, published on January 15, says tengri news:
“In total, there are 4,578 victims in Kazakhstan, 4,353 of them were injured, including 3,393 employees of law enforcement agencies. During the state of emergency, 225 dead were taken to morgues. “Unfortunately, civilians have become victims of acts of terrorism.”
The number of dead civilians is not specified. Asel Artakshinova, spokeswoman for the Ministry of Health, reports that more than 2,677 people have sought medical attention:
“Including 1,815 patients for outpatient care, 863 for inpatient care. To date, 598 patients have been discharged, 265 continue treatment, 67 patients are in intensive care, more than 500 complex operations have been performed. Of the 225 deaths, 175 patients died in medical organizations.”
Unrest in Kazakhstan began in the early days of the new year. The reason was the increase in gas prices. Residents of the cities of Zhanaozen and Aktau went to protest rallies against the doubling of the price of liquefied petroleum gas. The Ministry of Energy explained it by the fact that from January 1, prices are formed at electronic exchange auctions, based on supply and demand.
In response to the protests, the President of the country, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, ordered the creation of a special commission to study the situation, and already on January 4, it announced that it was ready to reduce gas prices, that is, to fulfill the main demand of the protesters.
But the protests meanwhile spread to other cities. On the evening of January 4, in Alma-Ata, protesters staged a clashes with the security forces, in response they used gas and stun grenades. The President of Kazakhstan called on the protesters to show prudence and not succumb to provocations. According to Tokayev, power will not fall, but the country “does not need a conflict, but mutual trust and dialogue.”
On January 5, a message was received that in Alma-Ata, in the building of the city administration A fire started.The forces of the National Guard are gathering in the center of the city. The number of protesters continues to grow. In the morning, President of Kazakhstan Kassym-Jomart Tokayev retired the government, which he considers the main culprit in creating a protest situation. A regime was introduced in Alma-Ata and the Mangystau region state of emergency, which will be valid until January 19. Among the measures announced within its framework are a curfew from 23:00 to 07:00, restrictions on freedom of movement, a ban on mass events, a ban on the sale of weapons and ammunition, and the establishment of a special regime for the circulation of medicines and alcohol.
An anti-terrorist special operation began in the city. Speaking at a meeting of the Security Council, the President of Kazakhstan called the rioters terrorists and said that he had turned to his CSTO partners for help. The CSTO Collective Security Council decided to send peacekeepers to Kazakhstan to stabilize the situation. Their task is to protect state and military facilities, to assist in stabilizing the situation. As TASS reported, referring to the CSTO secretariat, advanced units from the Russian contingent began to carry out their tasks.
President of Kazakhstan Kasim Zomart Tokayev had previously warned that he would respond “in the most severe manner” to the protests, citing “massive attacks” on security forces and “killed and injured” among police officers.