False claims and videos questioning the effectiveness and safety of any approved vaccine, not just COVID-19, will be removed, YouTube said.
Video hosting, owned by the IT concern Google (USA), announced its the decision Wednesday, September 29th. In an interview with Bloomberg, Matt Halprin, vice president of YouTube, said the company is thus increasing its efforts to combat disinformation. Strict measures will affect videos that question the quality of any approved vaccine and talk about the dangers of drugs, their ability to cause chronic disease.
Last year, YouTube banned some videos containing unfounded criticism of the COVID-19 vaccines. Over the past year, the platform has removed approximately 130,000 videos labeled: for “violating YouTube’s coronavirus vaccine policy.” The company’s official blog says:
“We continually see false claims about coronavirus vaccines spreading to vaccines in general. And now the moment has come when it is especially important to expand the work we started with COVID-19 to include other vaccines.”
On Tuesday September 28, YouTube blocked 2 Russia Today channels (in German). The reason, according to the press service of Google, is the spread of false information about the coronavirus:
“RT DE issued a warning for uploading content that violates our COVID-19 false information policy. This resulted in the suspension of their video publishing rights. During the suspension, channel owners tried to bypass restrictions by using a different channel. As a result, both channels were blocked for violating YouTube’s terms of service. “