Severe fires in the Peloponnese: dozens of victims

A total of 24 people, including four firefighters, are being treated in medical centers and hospitals in the Peloponnese, where severe fires have been raging for several days.

Victims:

10 citizens with respiratory problems and bruises, and 2 firefighters with minor burns were taken to the Medical Center of Ancient Olympia. 4 elderly people with mild respiratory problems were treated at the Pyrgos hospital and sent to church shelters for follow-up care. 4 people with respiratory problems came to Areopolis Laconia Central Hospital. At Meligala Hospital in Messinia, first aid was given to two citizens and two firefighters.

Like us previously reported, in the Attica metropolitan area, in addition to the victims, there is also the first victim.

The victim was a 40-year-old volunteer firefighter. The man reportedly fell off the motorcycle, allegedly caught on the wires and hit his head hard.

The firefighters who arrived at the scene found him next to the motorcycle and provided first aid. At the same time, there was a search for an ambulance to send the victim from the Ippokratio Politias area to the CAT hospital in extremely difficult conditions. The victim in critical condition was taken to the general hospital of the CAT, where doctors tried to resuscitate him for 70 minutes.

Unfortunately, the man died. According to the available information, the unfortunate man was a volunteer who arrived at the scene to assist in extinguishing the fire.

O other victims

At least 9 cases have been reported in hospitals in Athens, in which 5 were burn victims, 3 with respiratory problems from smoke. In North Evia, 11 casualties were registered at the Istiai Medical Center.

Air pollution has also become a serious problem in the Peloponnese, as well as in Athens. Due to severe fires, the level of carbon monoxide (carbon monoxide) exceeded the MPC by tens of times, which has a serious impact on the elderly and frail people.

What is carbon monoxide? Even ordinary burning of food at home can cause carbon monoxide, and as a result, poisoning. Carbon monoxide, or carbon monoxide (CO), is a colorless, odorless and tasteless poisonous gas that spreads completely unnoticed by humans. Most often, in fires, people die precisely due to the inhalation of poisonous smoke. Due to the ingress of carbon monoxide into the human body, the blood loses its ability to carry oxygen. Hemoglobin, which is supposed to carry oxygen in the blood, on the contrary, begins to carry carbon monoxide. As a result, a dangerous substance is formed in the human body – carboxyhemoglobin. The amount of oxygen in various parts of the body decreases as hemoglobin no longer delivers oxygen there. The man begins to choke. At one time, the heart throws out almost one glass of blood into the body, and carbon monoxide passes through the lungs to other parts of the body very quickly. Being poisoned by carbon monoxide, we do not understand the scale of the situation. The person is confused and cannot help himself, although he feels that something is wrong with him. A person may not compare these symptoms with carbon monoxide poisoning, and while in a dream, he may not feel anything at all. Symptoms depend on the amount of gas. A small amount can cause throbbing in the temples, drowsiness, weakness, headache, loss of balance, tinnitus, weakness in the legs, nausea and vomiting. Later, hallucinations, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, weakness, drowsiness, decreased blood pressure, breathing complications may occur. In case of severe poisoning, a person loses consciousness, and death occurs. …



Source link

High-quality journalistic work cannot be free, otherwise it becomes dependent on the authorities or the oligarchs.
Our site is solely funded by advertising money.
Please disable your ad blocker to continue reading the news.
Best regards, editors